EP 14: What is the Lima Hierarchy?
Megan Arey, AAS, CPDT-KA, CGC Evaluator Owner & Trainer talks today about the Lima Hierarchy! Have you ever heard of it before? Well, most people haven’t. According to the CCPDT website, “LIMA describes a trainer or behavior consultant who uses the least intrusive, minimally aversive strategy out of a set of humane and effective tactics likely to succeed in achieving a training or behavior change objective. LIMA adherence also requires consultants to be adequately educated and skilled in order to ensure that the least intrusive and aversive procedure is used.” So come join Megan today as she teaches you her approach to training and deep dives into each level of the pyramid to give you real-life examples and how to help your dog achieve the desired behavior by giving them alternative skills to respond appropriately in all situations.
The Dog Owners Guide Podcast: What is the Lima Hierarchy?
We discuss topics such as:
- What is the Lima Hierarchy?
- Are you positive? How does changing your approach benefit your dogs’ behavior?
- Where to start on the pyramid and why it’s important
- What do nutrition, wellness, and medical issues have to do with training?
- The next tier…how the environment can affect behavior and what we can do to manage it
- My favorite! Positive Reinforcement Training!
- Help with differential reinforcement
- The difference between negative reinforcement and negative punishment
- Positive punishment and why it should not be used
- Why the pyramid is helpful in preventing learned helplessness
Resources and Links:
- Visit our Inspire K-9’s website & see the most up-to-date class schedules.
- Join our Inspire K-9’s Facebook group today! We’d love to have you!
- Learn more about the Lima Hierarchy here!
- Miss Behavior Training: Visit their website here.