Megan Arey, AAS, CPDT-KA, CGC Evaluator Owner & Trainer talks today about fear, reactivity, thresholds, and desensitization! Do you have a fearful or reactive dog? Most dogs have these reactions at some point in their life and today Megan goes in-depth on each type of reaction and how we can help our dogs in these situations, so they have a successful outcome. Megan talks about common triggers that elicit these reactions, ways to manage them, and why your relationship with your dog is so important in the process of helping them overcome their fears and the way they respond to these triggers. If this is something you struggle with, with your dog, this is an episode you don’t want to miss!
The Dog Owners Guide Podcast: How can we help our fearful or reactive dogs? It’s all about knowing thresholds and desensitization!
We discuss topics such as:
- What are the reasons behind your dog’s reactions?
- Conflict based, fear-based, predatory, and territorial reactions
- Idiopathic reactions and what is important to consider when your dog has this response
- Common triggers that can initiate these reactions and how to identify them
- Management tools to use until you can get into a trainer for help
- Over-reactivity and threshold points
- Why your relationship with your dog is so important
- Timeouts and how to use them
Resources and Links:
Visit our Inspire K-9’s website & see the most up-to-date class schedules.
Join our Inspire K-9’s Facebook group today! We’d love to have you!
Check out Jean Donaldson’s book, Culture Clash: A Revolutionary New Way of Understanding the Relationship Between Humans and Domestic Dogs